Sunday, February 26, 2006

Broken Remote Control

A quickie: my VCR (who even uses those things any more?) remote control (everyone uses these) broke. I changed batteries, but nothing happens like one would expect when pushing buttons like Power, Play, Stop (well, stop seems to work), Rew, FFwd, etc. And I've made sure I've hit the "activation" button so it knows it's doing the VCR rather than any of the other 3 devices it doesn't really know how to control and that I don't have.

Any idea why there is just absolutely no apparent response when using the remote control? The VCR is very nice, with nearly instantaneous response when the remote did work, and I'd hate to have it depart for a silly remote control...

1 comment:

claymonster said...

there are a couple of ways to see if your IR remote is still spitting out a signal - one, go to Radio Shack and buy their little IR sensor strip (although it costs almost as much as a new remote, something like 7 bux), OR find a camcorder or digital camera and look at the remote using the LCD viewfinder while pressing some buttons. The camera can usually 'see' the IR where our eyeballs cannot.
If the remote is still working, I am not sure why your VCR would not be responding. My gut says it's the remote, not the VCR itself, but I could be wrong!