Monday, June 23, 2008

A Couple of Things

On June 5, the right side of my face went numb and stopped moving. Not sure if I was having a stroke, I went to the emergency room. It turns out to be a Bell's Palsy (link on WebMD opens in new window/tab), apparently a result of a severe sinus infection and no small amount of stress over the past few months.

After years of abusing my body by not taking care of it, exercising, and eating decently, it was also discovered that I have high blood pressure and diabetes (the non-insulin injecting kind). The good news is that my doctor feels that losing 25 pounds or so should fix things so that I don't have to take medication any longer. The nurse gave me a glucose testing kit (which only has 10 strips and 10 lancets, so they went pretty quickly when you're testing multiple times a day -- I'm going to once a day testing now).

When I filled my prescription to get new lancets and testing strips, the pharmacy was out of the testing strips the insurance company would cover. And buying the larger size (100-count as opposed to 50-count) would cost me $109. Well, the insurance company has their rules about stuff, so I didn't think much about it until I got home.

Interlude

The insurance company won't let me renew my diabetes medication until the 28th because it would be "too soon" otherwise. Whatever.

End Interlude

When unpackaging what I could get tonight, I discovered this: I couldn't get 100 test strips covered, only 50, but for lancets (mind you, one use only), I got a box of 100. That just doesn't make sense to me. I know it's all a money game, but I think it's almost as ridiculous as being treated like a criminal just to buy sinus medication and not being able to buy it in bulk if it's on sale or just to have.

Grrr

(P.S.: I know I said a couple of things, but I've forgotten the second thing.)

1 comment:

claymonster said...

I'm shocked your insurance covers any of the testing stuff at all! I was told no coverage kicks in until I've spent $5,000 on the stuff.
Stupid insurance.