Saturday, July 19, 2008

Traitor!

I'll get to the title of this post momentarily. But first, this message:

After reviewing my recording on my MP3 player, I finally have that second thing I couldn't remember before. I do lots of surveys and pretty much get points. Eventually, enough points adds up to getting some merchandise. I've only traded in points for a couple of things, both DVDs (the other merchandise is either junk, or just not to my taste). So, back in January, I ordered a DVD, Grave of the Fireflies - Collector's Edition. I received an order-verification email on Jan 5, which was several days after placing the actual order (maybe Jan 1).

On Monday, June 23, I got a package with a return address I did not recognize. I opened the package, and there was my DVD that I had ordered nearly six months prior. Talk about timely shipment. After all, it came the same year, didn't it?

So, about that traitor thing: I've been a member of Netflix since February 2000. They're the first, and frankly, they're the best, too. I stopped renting from Hollywood Video (except on days I was sick and stayed home from work and wanted multiple movies to watch all day). Blockbuster has never been all that attractive to me, even with their online and in-store combo program.

Tonight, however, I wanted some lighter fare than what was currently at home from Netflix (all good stuff, I'm sure, but sometimes you're just in a mood to watch something else). I stopped by McDonald's (second time this month, which is now twice in the past two years) to get a salad. And there was the red Red Box box (aptly named - who'd imagine they'd find a red box and come up with the name "Red Box"?).

I've looked at their offerings before, and with it being generally mainstream-only recent releases, I've never been tempted. Tonight, not only was I tempted, I succumbed and rented not one but two (count 'em) movies. I feel so dirty. The only catch is, I've got to watch both movies by 9 p.m. tomorrow night to make it worthwhile. I'm halfway there!

(Oh, I rented Fool's Gold, which was cute and enjoyable, but not something I would buy; definitely worth $1. The other movie is Jumper, which I have not watched yet. Maybe tomorrow after going to Batman: The Dark Knight.)

No comments: