Friday, May 06, 2005

Belief

Belief can be a tricky thing. Maybe not tricky, but it can be complicated. This came to mind while driving to work this morning.
  • Many people believe (is this a circular definition?) that all beliefs are equal and sufficient. If that be true, then why believe anything?
  • Some believe that if you believe hard enough, then that will work. But believing hard enough that you can fly isn't going to negate the law of gravity when you jump off a building or cliff. Your belief will come right up and smack you upside the head (and shoulders and hips and back and ...). Some laws can't be broken.
But what you believe in is what's important. When Jesus talks about the faith of a mustard seed, He's indicating that it's not how much faith you have but what you have faith in.

For far too long, I've had far more faith in myself than in God, and it's hard to have that realization. But my faith object, clearly, is insufficient to carry me through. I need to transfer a bit o' that to The One that can truly do anything about my pain, hurts, and dreams.

No comments: