Sunday, August 21, 2005

So long...

No, I'm not leaving, much to your chagrin. According to blogger, my last post was 8/5 [note: after publishing, I see my last post was 7/30, but my last updated post was 8/5, or so it would seem], not quite as long ago as I thought. It seems like forever, though you might be thinking it's sometimes better this way, my not saying anything.

If I were to have written anything within the past two weeks, without getting too deep into it, it would have gone something like, "I'm a total loser; I'm incapable of stepping above or outside myself; I'll never be out of the mess I've gotten myself into." But I try not to burden people with that junk. I mean, who wants to read that garbage?

The only thing worse than reading about it is living in it.

And to think, I'm going to lead a small group about our identity in Christ starting in a couple of weeks. Talk about being completely incompetent to speak on a subject. Yet, I know that this is my problem, and I don't think I'm alone in struggling in this area. I'm sure the specifics of my struggle are not shared in whole by others in my group, but all these struggles stem from not knowing who we are and not being aware of all that Christ has done for us.

I mean, how many times are we called saints? Yet we define ourselves as sinners. Guess what we act like — sinners! How can we act as anything but when we say we are just sinners [saved by grace]? When I say I'm a loser, I'm not going to act in ways that seem to differ from a loser's actions. Self-fulfilling prophecy. If I define myself as a sinner, I'm locked into that mindset.

This is not to say that I will not sin if I define myself as a saint, but that designation makes a ton of difference in how I look at myself. Now to make it real in my life, and not just some theoretical pie in the sky.

No comments: