Friday, December 16, 2005

King Kong

Wednesday, I got to see King Kong. For free. At night. What an engrossing movie. It clocks in a tad over 3 hours, but I didn't really notice because I was so engaged.

The character of Kong, played by Andy Serkis of Gollum fame, was amazing. He truly looked like a giant gorilla. He acted like a gorilla, too (at least as much as I know from seeing footage of gorillas in action and reading about them). He was not human and did not act human. Yet, I can still relate to him. Peter Jackson walked a fine line in how to treat Kong, and I think he did an outstanding job.

The technology behind creating this creature is stunning. We are truly near the age where we can put on screen anything we can imagine. I really look forward to one day seeing the book, Childhood's End put to the big screen. The visuals in that book are amazing, and I don't think it could have been done before now.

Yet, the movie was not about the special effects. They served to aid the story, not be the story. Technology in and of itself, while extremely cool (me being the techno-geek would say something like that), is really useless unless put to good use.

(sorry for my jumbled thoughts here; I'm not feeling too well today, but felt I needed to put something up about Kong before too much time went on.

1 comment:

Hayley said...

I saw this movie recently and I liked it. I have to say that it was a little long, and they could have edited out some of the giant bug scenes.
I did love the humanization of the gorilla, it was funny at times. Altogether a good movie...but not for everyone. But, as someone said, it's three hours of gorilla goodness.