Sunday, December 11, 2005

New Music -- and a movie

Last night, I splurged and ordered some music. I was able to get all of these for $5.99 a piece, and since I ordered 5 or more (at that price, it's kind of hard not to), shipping and handling was FREE, baby! So straight from the order confirmation and with my patented (ha) anticipated-enjoyment rating system with one (1) low and ten (10) high, I give you:

# Artist Title Anticipated Enjoyment
1 Chris Tomlin
Arriving
8
2 Chris Tomlin Not to Us
8
3 Building 429
Space in Between Us
7
4 Newsboys Devotion
9
5 Audio Adrenaline
Until My Heart Caves In
8
6
Fatboy Slim
Better Living Through Chemistry
7

One thing I've noticed with my ratings of things is that they skew toward the high end (movies included). I always concluded that I was non-discriminatory in my listening between "good" and "bad" (I'm sure many would argue that I am buffoon for my choices). Then, while typing this up, it dawned on me that I pretty much have culled out my garbage from even entering the fray. If I've heard snippets of songs and they don't grab me, or the description of a movie isn't compelling to me, then I don't bother wasting any further time on it.

Random Hearts is a good example of my system gone bad. My anticipated enjoyment of this movie was a 7; it had Harrison Ford in it, and I always enjoy his movies (though I refuse to watch Six Days Seven Nights — this movie has zero appeal to me). Twenty minutes into it, I knew I was in trouble. So was the movie. I just checked my Netflix rating, and I gave it 1 star. Which is as low as you can give. Their 1-star rating means "Hated It", but this does not do justice to how much I disliked this movie. (and I suppose this is a pretty random tag-on to my music post; though it does show that I'm not perfect in my expectations)

No comments: