Thursday, August 02, 2007

A Rise

I got a rise today (well, yesterday), and it wasn't because someone kicked me in the seat of my pants. For those of you who only speak American English, this means I got a raise at work. I'm excited. More money to throw at my debt :::sigh::: Remember, debt is the gift that keeps on taking. Every little bit helps, I guess.

Why the English term rather than the American term? Well, I've been watching a BBC TV show, Chancer, from 1990, on DVD. It's the first major role for Clive Owen, the guy you may have seen in films such as Children of Men, Croupier, The Bourne Identity (the assassin in the field at the farm house), and my personal favorite, Greenfingers (which virtually none of you have seen — ah, the joys of Netflix).

What is Chancer about? Steven Crane (Owen) is some kind of young business analyst (maybe some kind of investment banker?) who's never made a mistake in his recommendations. He becomes intrigued by a failing car manufacturer (the Douglas Leopard line, all hand-made) and finagles nearly £500K from his boss to bail out the nearly-bankrupt Douglas family. There is the intrigue of a missing/ runaway son, a wild daughter, a clueless daughter, some irate, unhappy bankers, and, of course, the machinations of Mr. Crane. What does he have up his sleeve? What does he intend to do?

This serialized drama, after only two episodes, has some answers, but only in the form of deeper questions raised (rised?) in the midst of the answers. The first episode had me hooked, and the second one did nothing to disabuse me of this notion. Sadly, there are only 19 episodes of the series. Mr. Owen decided to jump ship so as not to be typecast. Nineteen episodes doesn't seem enough time to typecast someone, but no one asked me.

1 comment:

claymonster said...

Congrats on the rise!

I'd say 19 episodes is enough for typecasting - in how many Seinfeld episodes did the Soup Nazi appear? He can't even go to the mailbox without someone yelling "Hey, no soup for you, right?"

OK, I totally made that up. But I'd wager that if I saw the Soup Nazi guy in person, I'd be waiting for him to deny me some soup.