Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Untitled, of Course

I hope to make this a short one. Though anything posted is better than nothing, right? Or you might think I'm really better off not adding any more inanity or banality to the world. I wouldn't blame you. And yet I kvetch on.

My last two or three postings I've dictated with my VR software. Physically typing is so much more cumbersome, especially when you have to type almost everything twice. Everything gets done twice with my VR software, but the extent of my involvement is saying, "Correct that <pause> Choose 2". Much less tiresome than typing everything twice.

Movies of late:
Girl, Interrupted
Excellent movie. Having gone through depression (and maybe still in its throes), I can relate to what was going on.

The Great Santini (1979)
Also a pretty good movie starring Robert Duvall. Some of the scenes are pretty intense, even by today's standards.

Magnolia
What's it about? It's about three hours. Really. I'm not sure how much better to describe it. Tom Cruise did an excellent job, though he was his usual angry young man. Though his character espoused many things I totally disagree with, not all of what he said was necessarily bad or untrue. Who does decide that men are automatically bad or wrong? There were lots of interesting parts to the movie, and I'm not sure I would classify this a "good" movie yet, but I can see that it has its charm and might make it into my collection one day. I think the funniest part, at least to me being a comic book fan, was when Tom Cruise was standing there posing in just his underwear talking about being Batman or Superman. I just laughed at the image of the traditional view of superhero garb being realized on someone saying he was a superhero. (That's for those of you who didn't make the connection.)

Music:
I recently bought some CDs, the first in several months:

Fat Boy Slim
<can't remember the title>
Fun stuff, though I've heard most of the songs elsewhere.

U2
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Pretty good stuff from the Irish lads, though one of the songs seems anti-Semitic to me, that Israel should just unilaterally stop defending itself. Maybe I'm hearing it wrong. I'll have to check back in on that one.

Matt Redman
Facedown
Worship music like I like it, with an edge. Again, not just cookie cutter "worship" genre music.

The Donnas
<can't remember the title>
"Chicks who rock". Lots of fun.

Apt Core
Apt Core 2
Not the album I was looking for. Either a different Apt Core album, or I'm looking for a Cathedral of Sound album. Update 12/17: I just realized this album is on backorder from BMG, so I haven't heard it yet. It's amazing what you can convince yourself is true sometimes. Stupid BMG for not carrying a greater selection. It's taken me months to be able to find four CDs I wanted to buy. (Of course, not having that much money beyond comics and DVDs might have a little to do with it, too.)

Okay, so this turned out longer than I anticipated. They always do.

No comments: