Thursday, November 10, 2005

Micro$haft

Micro$oft is demonstrating increasingly insane behavior. I use XP at work, and I've set all Automatic Updates to download and inform me when available. Twice now, my computer has been force rebooted by a Micro$oft update WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT, killing some long-running programs in the process. They (you know, the infamous "they", the "they" who hold all wordly knowledge and wisdom) say bad things happen at night. I understand that at night there is generally less traffic, but it also seems Micro$oft hides behind this to do its dastardly deeds without question or restraint.

"You weren't there to say, 'No', so we had no choice."

Grrr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, here's the quick fix. Start -> Control Panel -> (Performance and Maintenance) -> System. Click on the "Automatic Updates" tab and select "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them." instead of "Automatic (reccomended)". That way, it'll notify you in the system tray when it thinks you should install and ask for permission.

claymonster said...

Well, I say Micros*ft is evil even if you can get control of your updates.