Friday, June 02, 2006

Mega-Plex Movie Theatres

Living in the big city of Houston has one big advantage for those who like to go to movies: a plethora of massively multiple-screen theatres. At the time it was built, the AMC Studio 30 on Dunvale was the largest movie theatre in the world, or so I've read. [Someone slightly-less-than-politely informed me I was completely wrong as there was an AMC with 36 theatres. God forbid that a record be broken.]

But I wind up going to the Cinemark Tinseltown on Richmond with a mere 24 theatres. They are slightly cheaper than the AMC, and all my friends want to go to this one because they think the seats are better/more comfortable. I disagree with that sentiment, but I'll let the money factor drive me. Oh, and going to movies with my friends. That's gotta be up there somewhere.

Big blockbuster movies tend to be on more than one screen, which is quite all right with me. It allows the masses to consume large quantities of whatever Hollyweird is praying (who says they're all godless people?) the public will adore and attend over and over and over. [which is the theme for Hollyweird, isn't it: doing the same movie over and over and over... I contend that Hollyweird's thought process (big assumption there, that they think) is: if one movie is wildly successful, then the only response is to make hundreds of copies.]

All this came about because I was looking at Cinemark's movie showtimes for the weekend. Remember, 24 screens. There are a total of 10 8 movies showing. TEN EIGHT. I guess there aren't that many great movies out...

No comments: