Saturday, June 10, 2006

Movies

Going to see Cars today at 11 (2 hours from when I started writing this). I really hope I don't have too high expectations for it. But when you hear "the best Pixar movie yet", what are you supposed to do? Well, more importantly, what am I supposed to do? I wasn't sold on even wanting to see the movie until about 2 months ago when I read a post someone made about having seen it. His feelings at first were full of ambivalence about the flick until he saw it. Then he highly recommended it. So, I really want to see it.

Superman Returns starts in 18 days. I'm so excited. If you haven't been turned on to wanting to see this movie by the third theatrical trailer, you're just looking for reasons not to like it. If I can find a countdown timer to skin and plug into the page this weekend, I'll work on that.

Watched Prime this week. Apart from the sex (which wasn't horribly explicit or prolonged but present nonetheless), I really really liked this movie. It wreaked of honesty and reality, not in the your-life-is-on-display-for-all-the-world-to-see kind of way prevalent on TV, but in the "hey-I-might-do-or-say-that-or-at-least-wish-I-had-or-would" kind of way. That honesty, brought to my attention after watching some of the extras on The 400 Blows, really underscores movies I like. They don't have to be "real" movies but honest ones. It can be a futuristic sci-fi flick, a romantic comedy, a drama, a regular comedy, or what have you, but having characters that are true to themselves is what really appeals to a wide variety of people.

That, and lots of things exploding.

I can see it now: our protagonist, walking down the street with 1) a street-wise kid who's really smarter than our protagonist but secretly wants a mommy or daddy to care about them, or 2) a snarky little monkey who's really smarter than our protragonist but not-so-secretly just wants to be fed bananas and breakfast cereals, or 3) a street-wise adult companion who thinks s/he's smarter than our protagonist but secretly snarks to be considered hip and cool to cover the pain of mommy and daddy not showing they cared for him or her by not providing a monkey as a gift, or 4) the companion in distress that must be rescued by our protagonist but in reality is a doofus, or 5) some combination of these or other characteristics, stops to have an honest and realistic conversation with the newsstand vendor. The building down the street suddenly blows up, but our concerned trio or more are nonplussed (which happens to be double plus ungood) by said events due to the honesty and reality of the dialog (what do you call it if there are more than two people talking? a Woody Allen movie?) in progress. Meanwhile, as the camera zooms out to provide a wider shot, enter a car encountering a craftily-hidden ramp to initiate air launch and subsequent rollover, again ignored by our earnest group of conversationalists, who are, remember, quite honest and grounded in reality. Our (should be) committed sidekick, honest to character, emits a witty remark upon which hilarity ensues. The spinning car now crashes into several other cars, all of which explode.

Have I mentioned that I love movies?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what did you think of Cars? I was excited because I love all the Pixar movies and it looked pretty good. What I found was that it was a lot of fun. I posted my thoughts on my blog.