Tuesday, September 19, 2006

DVD Release Recommendation 9/18/2006

So tired. So many DVDs.


How can they keep making DVDs? One day they'll slow down, but I don't see that happening for quite a few years.



wheelchair graphic in memory of Kenny I miss you, Kenny. We all miss you.



TV DVD Release of the Week



Honorable Mentions


  • Bob Newhart: Season 4 I would have picked this as the main, but I saw this on the shelf of Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure why it's showing up for this Tuesday's release. Anyway, one of the funniest shows ever on TV. (Amazon and IMDb are problematic tonight; I'll check back and update this later.)

  • Bob Newhart: Button Down Concert Bob Newhart. Enough said.

  • Gilmore Girls: Season 6 Yes, Gilmore Girls. I like it. It's well-written and witty. Get over it.

  • My Name is Earl: Season 1 One of the funnier sit-coms to come out in recent years. I don't buy into the whole kharma bit, especially since the Bible talks about good and bad happening to the good and the bad (and we're all bad anyway), but otherwise pretty funny. We can certainly learn to treat each other better now rather than waiting for some "mystical" force to encourage or demand it of us.

  • Hart to Hart: Season 2 I loved watching this as a(n older) kid. I haven't watched it recently, so it might be totally hokey, but I do seem to remember it being lots of fun.



DVD Release of the Week

Sorry, no main feature here.



Honorable Mentions

This week, the TV releases RULED! There weren't really any standout movie releases on DVD this week. But I do have a couple of honorable mentions.



  • Mister Roberts Henry Fonda in comedic battle with his superior officer and inferiors shipmates over getting things done and being good military men. Fun viewing and probably worth buying. Maybe I'm just too tired to be purely objective on this one.

  • Backdraft A two-disc special edition is released of this movie about firefighters. Nicely done though unrealistic regarding the actual fire (there's too much light, but do we really want to see a bunch of darkness on the screen? I thought not). From the time when Ron Howard made really good movies consistently.

  • Grease, the Rockin' Rydell Edition. If you learn nothing else from this movie, learn that Olivian Newton John is hot, and girls get their guy by acting/dressing like a tramp. It wouldn't be repeated so often in movies if it weren't true, right?

No comments: