Friday, September 15, 2006

Theatrical Release Pick for 9/15/2006

Unpithiness abounds. I'll be out of town on retreat this weekend. A new guy started at work today to help me out (50% time), so as I was training him on what, my boss came in and said it was unimportant for him to work on my stuff and that it would take too long. Instead, he should learn this testing tool because that doesn't require any major skills to work with. Ludicrous.


The Show Must Go On



Pick of the Week

The Black Dahlia, starring Josh Hartnett, Scarlett Johanson, Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank. This is another unsolved Hollywood murder story (a la Hollywoodland). A young starlet, Elizabeth Short, is found dead one morning. If she were merely dead, it would have been just another sad footnote in the strangeness of Hollywood(land). However, she was brutalized horribly, and the crime has never been solved. I've known about this tale for ages, but mostly just the occasional article I'd happen to stumble across about it, the most recent one about a police officer who is convinced that his father is the murderer (knowledge, skills, though I'm not sure about the motive).


Anyway, the movie is based on the novel by James Ellroy. "So what?", you ask. Mr. Ellroy also wrote a little something called L. A. Confidential. The excellent movie adaptation was sorely overlooked in the wake of Titanic. I can only imagine the story will be excellent, even if the movie might lack.



Honorable Mention


  • Gridiron Gang, starring Duane Johnson (aka The Rock), about a counsellor who decides to help some of his charges at a juvenile detention center by teaching them to play football. I hate making this an honorable mention, as I feel about as strongly about this movie as The Black Dahlia, but I think this could be a very inspiring story. It is based upon a true story, though dramatic liberty is sure to abound.

No comments: