Friday, September 08, 2006

Theatrical Release Pick for 9/8/2006

I've been excited about some of the movies coming up, so much so that I've thought about writing these things in advance to cover things when I get too busy to do these weekly. It's not like there's a whole lot of latitude to what's coming out, really.

I'm faced with a dilemma, and I feel forced to do something I never intended to do with this: not pick a new release. But it's my list, and I can do what I want, right? Hopefully, this won't be a common occurrence.

Pick of the Week

Crank, starring Jason Statham. Last week's pick is this week's pick, too. I know, but I can't really pick one of the new releases.

Honorable Mentions


  • Hollywoodland, starring Adrien Brody, Diane Lane, Bob Hoskins, and Mr. Jennifer Garner, about the mysterious death of George Reeves, the man who played Superman in the TV show. I got sneak preview passes to watch it Wednesday night. It was fair and decent, and Mr. Jennifer Garner wasn't horrible, actually pretty decent. It seems that his prosthetic nose hides the fact of "I'm Ben Affleck — Aren't I great?" I'm just glad I can separate the man (George Reeves) from the character (Superman).

  • The Protector, with Tony Jaa, in a pretty cool looking martial arts flick. Hopefully, the movie will have more than the three main stunts shown in the commercial. Jaa is a Muy Thai fighter who travels to Australia to fight gangsters who stole an elephant and a bull. Kind of week now that I write it out. But it still looks cool.


Stay Away, Far Away!


  • The Covenant, starring interchangeable pretty boys, looks pretty awful: the latest heirs in a group of families who sold their souls for powers, one of whom was removed and wants revenge. See what I mean? Dollar movie or Netflix if nothing better.

No comments: