Saturday, September 08, 2007

Why is this show still on?

One of the shows I enjoy watching is Stargate SG-1. Not having access to the Sci-Fi channel, I can only watch it in syndication (and a season behind -- though my most recent purchase from Amazon will bring me the 10th and final season of the show in the next couple of weeks. But I digress.)

Locally, Stargate regularly shows on Saturday night at 11:30, which helps contribute to my night-owl-ism, I'm sure. Prior to this past year (which is almost a pun if you know the 9th season storyline), IIRC, Stargate came on at 11:00 right after Mad TV. All in all, a good night of TV watching.

This past year, though, Fox decided to air a show, Talk Show with Spike Feresten. I'm all for giving new shows a try; one never knows when something decent will come along, and a comedic vehicle is always appreciated. I watched the first episode. And the second show. And the third. I didn't even crack a smile, not even inwardly. This show is not funny in any way that makes sense to me. This guy's big claim to fame? He used to be a writer on Seinfeld.

Oh, I tried flipping over to CW (formerly WB) for the 30 minutes the decidedly unfunny Mr. Feresten continued in his lame attempt at entertainment, but watching TV while reading email and/or web surfing remove my focus enough (at least for a show I'm not all that interested in) that I would forget to turn back to Stargate.

So now, I suffer through this unfunny show so that I can watch Stargate. (Note: I have laughed exactly ONE (1) time during this show -- a 40ish gentleman donning rave gear, including pacifier, glow sticks, etc. takes a hit of E (aka Extasy) and goes wild. Whoever said I was normal or traditional in my tastes?) I look forward to the end of this tragedy of a comedy (but not the end of Stargate).

2 comments:

Mike DeNeut said...

You should check out my blog.

You should check out my blog & the sidebar links

claymonster said...

Ah, so it all becomes clear now. What a coincidence that I actually watched a few minutes of the train wreck of a show just Saturday night.
I wholeheartedly agree with your opinions on this waste of airtime. This show is about the most unfunny comedy thing since Keenan Ivory Wayans tried the talk show gig. He and Spike have the same M.O.: get the people you previously worked with on the show, at least maybe they'll return your calls. Keenan had every cast member and probably some of the crew from "In Living Color" on his short-lived show, and Spike actually had Jerry Seinfeld on last night. I can just hear that phone call... "But, Jerry, c'mon, you have that new "Bee Movie" coming out, you can try out a couple of new jokes... PLEASE Jerry, I'm begging you! I've been out of real work since your show went off the air, Larry David acts like he doesn't remember me... PLEASE Jerry, YOU OWE ME!!!! Whaaaaahhh!"
"OK, you whiny little b#%&h, if you swear this is the last time you call me..."

or something like that.