Friday, January 02, 2009

Saturday Mornings

I like animation quite a bit. And for quite a few years, I've enjoyed watching many cartoons on Saturday morning. I was sad when Superman was taken off to be replaced by one of three showings of Pokemon, which I did watch but didn't really enjoy. I could see the appeal of it to younger children, but it wasn't for me.

Not having cable or satellite, my cartoon watching is limited to whatever is shown on broadcast networks. The WB, UPN, the CW, and ABC, all provided cartoons worth watching to some extent or another for the past few years. Beginning this current season, though, there's just nothing on any more that I want to even waste my time with. It's very sad indeed.

While I was at my mom's house for Christmas, I got to watch some Spongebob (he's a sponge, you know), and some other stuff that I don't recall titles for. I did get to see The Brave and the Bold, a cartoon starring Batman and having special guest stars teaming up with him (mega excitement to see Plastic Man) patterned after the comic book of old. My initial perceptions of this show were negative, mostly due to the style of the cartoon, very reminiscent of the 60's TV show, which I enjoyed, but that's over and done, at least in that style. I was pleasantly surprised, though, and maybe next year it will show up on broadcast networks.

Pondering: why don't I have cable or satellite? Well, my cable company has steadily reduced offerings and increased pricing, but they have increased the number of Spanish stations, so what am I complaining for? And satellite I believe would be too restrictive (you can only record what the box is tuned to, and you can't watch other shows (or so I understand)). Either way, I'm not ready to spend money on everything when I only want a few channels.

No comments: