Monday, August 21, 2006

DVD Release Recommendation 8/22/2006

Okay, in the midst of my exhaustion (working way too much and about half the sleep I normally get, which isn't all that much to begin with), let's see if I can recommend a DVD or two for all two of you. (and, I apologize for no nifty graphics right now; see the beginning of the paragraph as to an explanation why).

TV Release: House, M.D., Season 2
Dr. House saves the day usually by the third diagnosis, no surprise there. But the writing on the show is pretty darn good. Everyone has a story as to why they're there, and we get to join in on the discovery. It can be intense at times, so if you're sensitive, beware.

Honorable Mention: Invasion, The Complete Series
Sadly, I didn't get to watch this much when originally broadcast this past year. I always enjoyed it when I did see it. My skin dutifully crawled at all the opportune spots, and I ached wanting everyone to see the obvious (to the audience) creep factors running around (William Fitchner's character being the prime example; man, he's played so many different parts quite well).

DVD Releases: Film Geek (2005)
Semi-autobiographical story of the writer, the film is about a young man whose life is movies, and the results when his interest is suddenly turned to someone of the fairer sex. I haven't seen it, but I imagine I might be a little uncomfortable watching it, much as I would be were I to watch The 40-Year Old Virgin, or so I've heard.

Yours, Mine, and Ours (1968)
This is actually a re-release, as I've had a copy of it for several years. This is a cute movie starring Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda as a widow and widower who meet, fall in love, and join their two large families (10 kids in one, 8 in the other) into one big happy family. Hijinks ensue from a time when ensuing hijinks was a good way to describe a movie.

There are lots of other DVDs coming out this Tuesday, many of which are re-releases, HD-DVD, or Blu-Ray (the latter two I will not endorse one way or the other; format wars, expense, etc.). I just call 'em like I (don't) see 'em. I don't see anything that just screams, "STAY AWAY! BE AFRAID!" However, that is not an endorsement of everything that comes out.

No comments: