Thursday, August 24, 2006

Theatrical Release Pick for 8/25/2006

Welcome to the first theatrical release pick!

Last week, I would have picked Little Miss Sunshine, which I'm pretty sure opened wide (i.e., many theatres/cities, as opposed to limited release being in a handful of cities) last weekend. Everything I've heard tells me this is the one to see. And I'd have recommended avoiding Snakes on a Plane. Half the people read my column in advance ;-) .

For this week, I'm picking (grab onto the sides of your chair and steady yourself) Invincible. A football movie? Oh, yes, I did. It stars Mark Wahlberg and Greg Kinnear, both decent actors. It's a true story about open roster tryouts for the Philadelphia Eagles. And a walk-on player makes it, much to the chagrin of some people with large sticks inserted places no large sticks were intended to occupy. It looks inspirational, well done, and besides, you've got to love those bad 70's haircuts.

An honorable mention goes to Idlewild, the movie from the members of Outkast. Lots of fun, good music, and a train race. Wahoo!

Please, please, please, I beg you, please stay away from Beerfest. There is nothing redeeming or entertaining beyond the basest of humor here. I could at least understand someone wanting to see the Snakes movie, but not this one.

Well, that's the end of the first week of recommendations. Use to your heart's content.

No comments: