Tuesday, August 29, 2006

DVD Release Recommendation 8/29/2006

Ok, a day later than I'd like, but here ya go! There are a lot of releases this week, and I could suggest a bunch more, but we'll stick to this batch for now.

TV DVD Release of the Week: The Tick: The Belated 10th Anniversary Edition

I loved The Tick. Funny, twisted, and of that earnest genre along the lines of Eek! the Cat, Earthworm Jim, and Spongebob Squarepants, where the hero believes in right but doesn't necessarily accomplish it without great harm to himself. The Tick is a 400-pound, nigh-invulnerable superhero protecting The City with his cohort, Arthur, the Moth. It's just a little off-kilter, which is probably why I love it so much.



Honorable Mentions
  • Arrested Development Season 3 One of the smartest shows on TV the past few years, I'm proud of Fox for sticking it through 3 seasons for this show despite its not quite finding its audience. Lines delivered so dead-pan, so matter-of-factly, that it takes a bit for the impact of what was just said to sink in. Funny funny funny.

  • Andy Griffith Show Season 7 It's Andy Griffith! What more needs to be said? Okay, Good wholesome entertainment!

  • Astroboy Vol. 2 Ultra Edition This is the very original series from 1960's Japan, the one that is considered the very first anime. I didn't learn about this series until I saw the modern American version a couple of years back, and I fell in love with it. It has such a sweet charm to it, and while I haven't watched all of the discs I own of all of these series (there were three total that I'm aware of), the story is quite interesting.



DVD Release of the Week: Akeelah and the Bee
I haven't seen it, but everything I've read about it (and from a couple of friends that have seen it), this is a very charming story about a young girl from a disadvantaged background that has the potential to win THE national spelling bee.

Honorable Mentions
  • Jewel of the Nile Special Edition Fun adventure story with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner along the lines of King Solomon's Mines (well, I thought so, anyway). Very worth seeing if you don't want to buy it.

  • Pretty in Pink Collector's Edition One of the good 80's teen movies that wasn't just about S3X. Some good music, a good story.

No comments: