Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi)

I finished watching Spirited Away last night. It's one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen. I might even have to say it's better than Akira, and I never thought that would happen.

Basic Story: Chihiro is moving to a new house with her parents. Her dad takes a detour. Eventually, they find themselves at what appears to be an abandoned carnival. Except there's plenty of cooked food, which the parents start gobbling. After many plates, they turn into pigs. Chihiro did not eat any of the food, but she cannot leave, either, and certainly not without her parents. She eventually winds up an indentured servant to the "owner" of the establishment in order to eventually free her parents from the curse. She meets some unbelievable characters along the way and has some wild adventures. Wackiness, tenderness, morality, and just plain fun are all very much in evidence throughout the film.

How can I explain how great this movie is? On Netflix, I rated it 5 stars because I couldn't rate it higher. Stunning animation; great, fleshed-out characters; jaw-dropping ideas. There is nothing wasted in this movie. In one scene, Chihiro is putting on her shoes just like a 10-year-old girl would. Considering that Chihiro is supposed to be a 10-year-old girl, that actually works. Her running down the stairs (with no handrail) on the outside of the building reminds me of some very serious "dreams" I've had.

What a great movie!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll say it. It's better than Akira. And yes, Spirited Away is an amazing movie. Really, really good.

I recently watched Howl's Moving Castle, and it was a very good movie, just not up to the same level as Spirited Away.

claymonster said...

If this movie is getting "better than Akira" reviews, I guess I'd better watch it!

Not a big anime guy, but always appreciate any good film regardless of genre.

Unknown said...

Well, now that I am a new anime fan, I want to see it too. :)