Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Equalizer

Finally, the TV show The Equalizer is coming to DVD! I am so excited about this (no, really!)! Okay, enough with the exclamation marks (but I'm really excited about this). JamesEdward Woodward plays the titular character, a man seeking to make restitution for lives taken and evils done by helping others who are having trouble. Slum lords, bullies, loan sharks, etc., should all beware The Equalizer.

As much as I idolize Superman (bear with me), I recognize that he is a fictional character . I will never be able to fly except in a plane or by jumping off a tall building, cliff, or other large object. In the immortal words of The Tick, "Gravity is a harsh mistress." I'll never have x-ray vision no matter what the ads in comic books claim. No, the most I can do is kind of look like him (or one depiction of him, anyway) if I lose ## pounds and start working out fairly hard.

The Equalizer is also a fictional character, a much more realistic one, however. I would love to have his connections, money, and force of will in order to do the types of things he did in the show. The average person needs a champion, someone who will stand up for them, someone who will defend them and protect them. This is something I feel like I could manage. And I've actually prayed about this. God's response to me is that I do have that power available to me: it's called "prayer".

And really, who better to know what's needed in any particular case? The best I can do is seek vengeance and be punitive and retributive. But God can speak to the hearts of all involved, touching them where they need it the most, bringing true healing and freedom. Eventually, even Pharaoh let the Hebrew people go. Sure, he regretted his decision, changed his mind, and paid for it with his life, but that was his choice.

Really, how exciting is that? We have the power of God available to us to accomplish things and help improve people's lives. Not that we make things happen according to our whims, but opening our hearts to the truth of God's desires can change us from the inside out and maybe lead us to become part of the solution rather than running away in hopes the problem(s) will just disappear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that the Equalizer is coming to DVD. I enjoyed the show too. However, his name was Edward Woodward. :-)

Unknown said...

Updated. Thanks for the correction!