Sunday, August 15, 2004

The Stoking Place

In case you haven't figured out, I like movies. One day, I'd like to make a movie, but that's a different story.

I watched Boiler Room tonight, with Giovanni Ribisi, Vin Diesel, Nicky Katt, and Nia Long, among many, many others. This probably wound up in my queue at Netflix because it had Vin Diesel in it; he's actually a relatively minor player (Chris Varick), while Ribisi is the main guy (Seth Davis). He goes to work at a scam brokerage not realizing it's not totally legit (this is not a spoiler). Once he finds out, though, he's not terribly heartbroken. There is some interesting play between him and his dad, played by Ron Rifkin (who is just as mean, evil, and conniving here as in "Alias", and L. A. Confidential, too); I was actually shocked at one point (by Ribisi's character) -- you'll know it when it happens, should you decide to watch it.

Ben Affleck plays a 27 year old broker who still works at the house only because he's so good at his job; otherwise, he would be a has-been at his age in this company. The idea is to get 'em young and work 'em hard before they're old enough to know what they're doing. The lure of easy money (millions per year) is enough to hold any recognition of shadiness in their dealings at bay.

A couple of key points in the movie that really stuck out to me: 1) Davis asks Varick at one point why, if he makes so much money, does he still live at home with his mother; 2) a really nice line along the lines of, "My dad always told me my problem was my work ethic. My work ethic is not my problem; my problem is my ethics at work." Another important aspect of the movie is the rampant misogyny. These are boys in physically mature bodies, and women exist solely to serve their needs or do their dirty work. One woman (Nia Long as Abbie, the receptionist) has sold out any hope of being offended at anything said or done because the money is good. The only attempt at redemptive femininity is Davis' mother, who attempts to restore relations between her husband and wayward son as best she can.

This is an okay movie, neither stellar nor horrible. Lots of cussing that you would expect from a bunch of immature guys heady with the pursuit -- and achievement -- of high lucre. Overall, the story is interesting enough to hold your attention. It's not a pretty picture, but it is fairly successful at drawing you in, urging you to root for Davis.

We won't even talk about The Best Man. After forty minutes, I went to bed (exhaustion). And I decided I didn't need to see any more. The misogyny in this movie could be cut with a knife and makes Boiler Room seem like a movie based upon The Feminine Mystique or something. (And don't ask me how this movie wound up in my queue -- I'd say I was drunk when it entered the picture, but I've never been drunk. How about we just chalk it up to gremlins?)

No comments: