Monday, July 12, 2004

How I knew

I recently (five minutes ago from this writing) read an article on article on Lockergnome about when you knew you were a computer geek. I was in ninth grade (1978-79 school year), in the GT program. Somehow, we got a TRS-80 in our weekly class, and I was instantly fascinated. I couldn't play sports, and I wasn't that good in band (even though I enjoyed it thoroughly). But here was something that I could actually make happen. And no one teased me in the process. When my very existence incited ridicule and derision from my peers (and the teachers allowed it in class), it was kind of nice to be able to do something without being judged for it. (imagine my frustration with Micro$oft Word trying to tell me what I want to do...)

And I've been pretty decent at it ever since then. Not great, but better than average. Kind of sad that the machines are easier to relate to than so many people. I'm glad that the people I'm around now aren't like junior high kids (though I've seen some that have never grown up). Check out Why Nerds are Unpopular for more thoughts on this whole phenomenon. The article is lengthy, but I pretty much support everything in it. There ya go.

No comments: