Sunday, July 18, 2004

One of Those Days

Tonight, I went to the church choir concert where they presented their
summer tour music (they traveled to the northeast and sang at various
places). They were excellent, and I have never heard them sound better.
Technically, they have always been top-notch. Tonight, though, they had
the sound to match their 100+ number, which I've never noticed from them
before. They were so good, in fact, that I considered thinking about
joining (I must be one of those people that, when I see a good thing, I
have to go in and destroy it LOL).

After the concert, we had a reception for our organist of 29 years who
is retiring "sometime soon". We sure didn't have "fellowship"
food--delicious doesn't begin to describe how good the food was. I was
glad I didn't gorge like I have in the past.

I know that I've always had trouble feeling like I fit in anywhere. In
college, I talked about someone to a friend of mine (not gossiping), and
he said that he didn't run in the same social circle with that person.
My response was, "I think my social circle is a dot." I can fit in most
anywhere, from (not too) upper crust to (not too) low-brow; I know
enough to not make a complete fool of myself, and I'm accepting enough
that I don't come across as a snob. But I've never been a part of any
group except on the periphery.

Tonight, though, at the reception, I found myself wandering around from
little group to little group, not finding anywhere to alight for more
than a minute or so. I tried to engage people, but I guess there were
too many distractions. It seems to me that I've made relatively decent
progress in the past few months or so at trying to be more involved with
people rather than living my isolationist lifestyle. Tonight, however,
when I wanted to be around people, there was no having it. :::sigh:::

No comments: